Friday, August 23, 2013

Pool & 100+ Imports at Fat Wally's | Cedar Rapids, IA


Since my move to Cedar Rapids, Greg and I have struggled to find a pool hall... or even just a bar with a pool table. Sundays in Ames were often spent at the good ol' Corner Pocket, sipping on Olde Main Dinkey Wheat, and shooting several games of pool. And, well... we've missed it!

Some digging around on the internet lead me to finding Fat Wally's. Located at 429 2nd Ave SE, I'd walked past the door several times on a few trips to and from White Star Alehouse. I hadn't known what awaited me and Greg down those stairs and into the basement drinking establishment.

For one, Fat Wally's is huge! 20 billiard tables. Plenty of 8-foot and 9-foot tables. And several pay tables. Plus, there were darts and foosball tables. We visited on a Sunday afternoon and were the only two in the joint besides the bartender (owner?). The place is super clean and well maintained. I loved the atmosphere, spaciousness, woodwork, and abundance of green.


Now, to know Greg and me is to hear us blabber on a lot about craft beer. We love our craft beer, especially Iowa beer and IPAs. But we have a huge soft spot in our hearts for imports. Greg's all-time favorite beer hails from Belgium, while mine's a German doppelbock. So finding out that Fat Wally's has over 100 imports was quite a lovely surprise. 

We took advantage and treated ourselves to old favorites and some new delights. Greg enjoyed Samuel Smith's India Ale, Morland Old Speckled Hen, and St. Georgenbräu Keller Bier (he told me to surprise him that round!) while I indulged in a Bellhaven Twisted Thistle IPA, Fuller's Extra Special Bitter, and Spaten Optimator. Mmm, 'twas all well and good.

So many bars and pubs are upping their craft beer selection, but it was nice to get some of the imported variety. Fat Wally's definitely has the best imported beer variety that I've ever seen. Greg and I will be back there both for the beer and the pool. (We really need to brush up on our pool!)



No comments:

Post a Comment