Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Acme California IPA | North Coast Brewing Co.


I would consider this a "gateway" IPA. As in, if this had been the first IPA that ever touched my lips... I might not have puckered at bitter hops and turned my nose up to the style for over a year. Nowadays, I like my IPAs to come with a bite. Also, as a side note I LOVE the vintage-inspired label on the bottle. (Yes, it is initially what caught my eye. I bought it because it was an IPA. Heh.)

Acme California IPA
Brewed by: North Coast Brewing Co. | California, US
Style | ABV: American IPA | 6.9% ABV

This beer poured a cloudy honey gold with one finger of cream colored head and left behind lots of lacing. The fragrance left something to be desired. It was really light (even for this sensitive whiffer) and faintly smelled of pine and sweet citrus. It tasted of apple, mango, citrus, and a little floral. It was very mild in the hop department. Not much of a bite. But it did have a nice dry, earthy taste and aftertaste. It was fizzy, light bodied, and crisp - very refreshing on a summer night. Overall, it wasn't spectacular. It wasn't as hoppy as I'd hoped. But it was refreshing and tasty with a nice aftertaste. It's something I'd drink with food since the hops wouldn't interfere much with the food or vice versa. It's a good "intro IPA" that can ease you into hops if you've never had them or don't think you like them.   3.41/5 | look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5



No comments:

Post a Comment