Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Stone Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing Co.


If you'd have asked me after my first-ever swig of an IPA a couple years ago whether or not I thought I'd ever equal hoppiness to happiness. I'd have stuck my tongue out at you through lips that were puckering at the bitterness of whatever that beer was. However, G and I have both grown to love those cones. (Hence the blog title.) And this brew is truly cream of the crop hop:

Stone Ruination IPA
Brewed by: Stone Brewing Co. | California, US
Style / ABV: American Double / Imperial IPA | 7.7% ABV



I started out really hating IPAs. Lately, I’ve been trying to go out of my comfort zone and have come to appreciate a good IPA. Do you like hops? If you do, prepare to have your mind blown by the insane hop flavor. This beer has a deep gold color with a very hoppy smell. There is some citrus sprinkled in there as well. The after taste has a somewhat surprising sweet ending. With an ABV of 7.7% you are venturing into “real beer” territory – none of that Bud light Platinum 6.0% stuff (if you know what I mean). Overall I give this beer an A. This is probably my favorite IPA I have had so far. You may need to get two packs since there are only 4 bottles in each! Cheers!



Before my dark descent into my beloved porters, stouts, and doppelbocks – I gave IPAs a try. I met a red IPA I fancied here and there, but was put off by the hoppy bitterness of what I now call the "good stuff." I gave IPAs a second chance and here I am: infatuated. This Ruination IPA is the good stuff. Caramel gold in color topped with a bit of creamy beige head, its fragrance is of citrus hoppiness. And the taste! Pungent, hoppy, bitter. It's got bite. And yet it's balanced, too. I loved it enough to give G the fourth and final bottle because I didn't want him to miss out on the hoppiness. :)
4.96/5 | look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5


There you have it. Stone Ruination IPA is doppelwinner.




1 comment: