Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Bell's Oberon Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.


Some wheat beers all taste the same. Bell's Oberon Ale is an exception.



Bell's Oberon Ale
Brewed by: Bell's Brewery, Inc. | Michigan, US
Style | ABV: American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV 

If you are looking for a solid wheat ale, Bell’s Oberon is not a bad choice.  It has a light cloudy gold color. A wheaty smell with a hint of citrus. It has a pretty typical wheat ale taste with some light citrus thrown in, and it is also slightly bitter. I don’t have a whole lot to say about this beer. There does not seem to be anything that is special about it other than it is an above average wheat beer. If you are roaming around the beer isle and are looking for a good wheat ale, this is a decent choice you cannot go wrong with. The lack of any extra ordinary features could be a plus depending on the crowd. I give this a B. A solid wheat beer. Cheers!

I rarely venture into the wheat beers. I'm just not a big fan, but I gave Bell's Oberon Ale a try and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't the typical, watery, all-wheat-nothing-else taste that I've become accustomed to and bored of. (Makes me think there may be hope out there for me and other wheat beers!) But before I get ahead of myself... this beer was a cloudy flaxen color. Pretty thin with bubbles clinging to the glass, but not much head. It smelled a little fruity: mango, apricot, grapefruit. Its taste was a little sour, but fruity and yeasty. Medium bodied, smooth, and pleasantly tangy. It was interesting and definitely not bad for a wheat beer. I'd drink it again.
3.46/5 | look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5




(Image source: Beer Surfing.)

1 comment:

  1. This is such a fun idea. Looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete